Glasgow is a vibrant and lively city in the UK, with great study-abroad opportunities and colleges for students to explore. Glasgow is rated as one of the 50 best cities in the world for students. Being a popular student destination, Glasgow has a wide range of student activities to explore, which we will cover in more detail –
Universities like the University of Glasgow, The Glasgow School of Art, and the University of Strathclyde are popular and well-ranked for their coursework, and you will find most students applying to these universities.
Most of the mentioned activities are free of charge or come with student discounts for students to enjoy. Glasgow is a student-friendly city, and you will never run out of things to do!
Here are some popular student activities in Glasgow :
Visit Museums and Historical Places –
- George Sq – Located in the centre of the city, George Sq is a must-see for history fans. You can find 12 statues of famous Scottish figures like Robert Burns and Sir Walter Scott. Queen Victoria opened the iconic city chambers in George square in 1888. You can get a free guided tour of the square and take a look at the Victorian Architecture, like the marble staircase and mosaic ceilings.
- Glasgow Cathedral – The Glasgow Cathedral is the only medieval cathedral in Scotland that survived the Protestant Reformation intact and is built on the site where Saint Kentigern is buried. Check out the cathedral for stained glass windows and carved stone bosses.
- Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum – The Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum has remarkable collections and exhibitions, with historical artwork like the famous Salvador Dali painting ‘Christ of Saint John of the Cross’. Amongst its 22 galleries, you can also see fossils, dinosaur bones, minerals and furniture from around the world.
- Riverside Museum – The Riverside Museum is a modern museum with a collection of some of the most state-of-the-art collections and interactive displays.
Explore the city’s parks –
- The River Clyde – Glasgow is built around the River Clyde, which is Scotland’s most famous river. It has numerous attractions like Glasgow Science Centre, The Tall Ship, Springfield Quay, and Intu Braehead, and it is the perfect place for a morning walk or a cycle.
- Pollok Country Park – It is the largest park in Glasgow and has been voted as one of the best parks in the UK and Europe.
Participate in fitness activities –
- Emirates Arena – The world-class Emirates Arena has fitness classes, tennis courts, gyms, and indoor play areas, all available for students at a membership.
- Glasgow Climbing Centre – Interested in rock climbing? Visit the largest indoor roped climbing centre in Scotland and Glasgow Climbing Centre.
Try out food and drinks –
- The west end – The West End is an area rife with bars, shops and restaurants. The famous Ashton Lane has amazing deals on cocktails and great restaurants to choose from, like Ramen Dayo and Ubiquitous Chip. You should also visit Byres Road, which is deemed the main artery flowing through West End.
- Merchant City – Merchant city is famous for gin bars, cocktail lounges and a plethora of restaurants serving international and Scottish cuisine. It is a shopper’s paradise with boutiques and shopping blocks for you to explore.
- Check out the cultural events –
- Glasgow international comedy festival
- Glasgow film festival
- Glasgow Mela
Glasgow has a lot and more to offer to the students studying there! Whether you’re interested in arts, history, shopping, pub-hopping or nature, Glasgow has got it all, making it one of the best study-abroad destinations for students worldwide.
You will also find amazing international student housing options in Glasgow, with great locations and a variety of accommodation options.
Amber and you- AmberStudent is an online student accommodation provider that helps you secure a home of choice on your study abroad journey. Having served 80 million students (and counting), AmberStudent is your one-stop shop for all your accommodation needs, with great international student housing options. Amber helps with assistance, booking, and price match guarantees! Check out their Facebook and Instagram and stay connected!
Madhura Ballal plays many roles- a cat person, a food lover, an avid marketer, and a postgraduate from the National University of Singapore. You can find her painting, doing yoga, and spending time with her friends when she’s not playing one of the most critical roles that she has taken on- writing.